You can sign up for a stimulus check even if you have $0 in income. Anyone can sign up, as long as you have not been claimed as a dependent on someone else’s taxes.
For people on Social Security: Ignore everything you’ve read. Some people on Social Security need to sign up. Some don’t. Who Needs to Sign Up?
Below are three options for sites where you can sigh up. Some reader’s report running into technical problems or error messages. If one site doesn’t work for you, choose a different one. They are all the same.
If you are still waiting for your check, you may be wondering: Why Didn’t I Get a Stimulus Check? When Will It Come?
IRS has launched a new tool for people who do not normally file taxes. Simple IRS form for stimulus checks. Reader’s Tips:
- It will bump you to a third party site that gives the impression that people on Social Security should not use this tool. Not true. The IRS and Social Security Administration are both clear that some people on Social Security still need to sign up and should use this tool. Social Security Explains Why Some People On Social Security Need to Sign Up
- Some people are having trouble using this site on cell phones. Try selecting “desktop view” or use one of the other sites instead.
- It asks for a state ID or driver’s license. If you don’t have one, you can leave that blank
TURBO TAX TOOL
You can also sign up using TurboTax: Sign Up for Your Stimulus Check. Reader’s Tip:
- The TurboTax page will be given two options to sign up: “If you haven’t filed your taxes yet this year” or “If you don’t need to file taxes this year.”
- If you are on SSDI or another form of Social Security, click the first link: “If you haven’t filed your taxes yet this year”
- If your only income is SSI, click the second link. “You don’t need to file taxes this year.” If the form asked you for information from your 1099, or if it tells you that you have to print and mail a paper form, this means you’ve chosen the wrong option. Go back and choose “if you don’t need to file taxes this year.”
- If you are not sure: How to Tell What You’re On
FREE TAX USA TOOL
Sign up using the Stimulus Tool at FreeTaxUSA. Scroll down and click on the button “Stimulus only returns.”
This blog was created by people with ME/CFS (Sometimes called “Chronic Fatigue Syndrome”).
Being homebound is nothing new to us. Many of us have been homebound or bedridden for five, or ten, or twenty years.
There is now a great deal of support, understanding, and help available to people staying home during Coronavirus, but none of this was available to us all these years, and when Coronavirus is over, it may go away again.
As you go about your day, please take a moment to think about your homebound friends. You may be able to go back out someday, but we may never be able to.