I am writing to request a reasonable accommodation as a person with disabilities.
I am a qualified individual with a disability, as defined by the Fair Housing Amendments Act of 1988. I have a disability which causes the following limitation: (Examples of Limitations)
I am requesting the following accommodation (Write what you are requesting, for example: Additional bedroom, change in parking spot, exception to eviction policy, exception to guest policy, extension for voucher, more Examples of Accommodations)
This accommodation is needed for a disability-related reason: (Examples of Disability-Related Reasons)
I am requesting this accommodation so that I will have equal opportunity to participate in your housing. HUD’s Office of Fair Housing and Equality Opportunity policy on Reasonable Accommodations and Modifications states that: “Federal nondiscrimination laws require housing providers to grant requests for reasonable accommodations and modifications in housing, programs, and activities.”
I am attaching a verification letter from my [doctor, psychiatrist, counselor, case worker, social worker. physical therapist, etc] supporting this request.
Please reply in writing regarding this request for an accommodation within 10 business days. Thank you for your consideration and I look forward to receiving your reply.
Optional To Add
Many landlord and housing workers are not familiar with the Fair Housing Laws and HUD accommodation policies. You may find that your request goes smoother if you enclose some policies. You can add this to your letter, or attach a separate page. Sample Language:
“In addition, I hope the following HUD policies and Fair Housing laws will be helpful in considering my request:
- List specific policy that applies to the request you are making
- List another specific policy if there is one
- Links to policies in some areas can be found here: Epic Master List of Disability Accommodation Letters for Housing
- For housing authorities (not private landlords), many policies can also be found here: HUD Housing Voucher Guidebook
- You can also include some of the general fair housing policies listed below
Policies For All Buildings and Housing Programs
- It is unlawful to refuse to make reasonable accommodations to rules, policies, practices, or services when such accommodations may be necessary to afford persons with disabilities an equal opportunity to use and enjoy a dwelling.” (HUD FHEO’s policy on Reasonable Accommodations and Modifications)
For Any Building or Program That Receives Any Federal Funds
- “Under Section 504, the requirement to make reasonable accommodations applies to any changes that may be necessary to provide equal opportunity to participate in any federally-assisted program or activity. This includes a change, adaptation or modification to a policy, program, service, facility, or workplace which will allow a qualified person with a disability to participate fully in a program, take advantage of a service, live in housing, or perform a job.” (HUD FHEO’s policy on Reasonable Accommodations and Modifications)
For Housing Authorities / Vouchers
- “For applicants with a disability, a PHA must grant a reasonable accommodation request made by an applicant unless it constitutes an undue financial and administrative burden, a fundamental alteration to the program, or results in a direct threat that cannot be reduced or eliminated by another reasonable accommodation.” (HUD Housing Choice Voucher Program Guidebook)
- “A reasonable accommodation is a change, exception, or adjustment to a rule, policy, practice, or service that may be necessary for a person with disabilities to have an equal opportunity to use and enjoy a dwelling, including public and common use spaces, or to fulfill their program obligations. Any change in the way things are customarily done that enables a person with disabilities to enjoy housing opportunities or to meet program requirements is a reasonable accommodation.” (HUD Housing Choice Voucher Program Guidebook)
Policies for Specific Requests
More policies can be found in the: Epic Master List of Disability Accommodation Letters for Housing