Sample Letter if Your Housing Worker Requires You To Use Their Forms

2fouweoSome of our readers have found that their housing worker will not accept a  reasonable accommodation request unless a specific form is used. They may require a specific form from both you and your doctor. They also may require that that the forms to be mailed or faxed directly from the doctor’s office and not provided by you.

If you run into this problem, you have two options:

One: Just follow what they are asking. Ask your doctor to fill out their form. If your doctor has written a letter, this can be attached to the form. If the worker wants it directly from the doctor’s office, ask the doctor’s office staff to fax it for you. This is probably the easiest way, if possible.

Two: Insist they accept the letters you provided. This way may be a little more difficult…  they may need to contact your doctor with follow up questions if their form has specific questions to be addressed. But the rules say that a housing program must accept your request in any format.

Here is a sample letter from someone who was in this situation.

Dear housing supervisor,

My housing worker informed me that she is refusing to consider my reasonable accommodation request paperwork.

According the HUD and DOJ Joint Statement on Reasonable Accommodations: “A provider may not refuse a request because the individual making the request did not follow any formal procedures that the provider has adopted.”

I am requesting that your program follow the HUD and The Department of Justice regulations which state that you must consider my request in the form I have submitted it and cannot deny my request because I have not used the procedures you have adopted.

Please provide me with a written decision on my request for a reasonable accommodation.

Thank you,

Learn More

This page is part of the online guide: Epic Master List of Disability Accommodation Letters

Facebook Group: HUD and Section 8 Disabled Residents & Family Members

Please comment below with stories, ideas, questions or suggestions. Please let us know if any links on this page stop working. If you found this page helpful, please share it with others by pressing one of these magic little buttons:


4 thoughts on “Sample Letter if Your Housing Worker Requires You To Use Their Forms”

  1. The art work is so stunning!
    Hello, Sleepy Girl,

    I was just diagnosed with an autoimmune disease 2 weeks before the pandemic shut everything down. I am morbidly obese and clinically depressed. Now, I must prepare my meals at home for the autoimmune protocol as opposed to eating out. In my apartment, the kitchen is dark, stifling and there is no ventilation. I can be in this kitchen for about 15 minutes before I have to take a break from fatigue and dripping with sweat. Several apartments in my building have a kitchen windows and two entrances. Our apartment is south facing and very dark. I have crushing fatigue from my autoimmune disease and depression. So, I am also requesting windows and outdoor space so I can grow some of my own food as my beloved parents did. This helps alleviate the crippling grief after losing them.

    I have not yet begun to fill out the 504 form. I have the form and it is one drafted by the landlords. I am petrified of being denied. Thanks so much for this info. I have read the sample letters but I still need help.


    1. Thanks for your lovely comments. I apologize for the slow reply. Did you make a request? How did it go?

      As long as the apartment you are transferring to is the same amount of rent I hope this will be approved for you. It feels like a reasonable request. I don’t think there’s anything to be scared of.

      If you are in a lease, you may need to wait until the lease is over to get the transfer, or you could also put in a request to break the lease early.


  2. Hi,
    my mom per her Doctor needed some one to live with her 24/7 so my mom apply for a 2 bedroom apartment with section 8 everything was fine until the day i was ready to move in with her. The apartment office worker tell me that only me can move in with my mom , not my husband. What i do now? my mom needs me and my husband too. i ask for reasonable accommodation for my husband one he is disable and another one is we are married and i was never told by the case worker that only me can move with my mom. The case worker deny my request


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s