Cheap Tests! Free Tests!
- Try contacting low-income healthcare programs in your area and inquire about medical assistance programs. Make sure to check all types of programs: clinics, centers, and hospital financial aid programs.
- Direct-Access Testing – Save money if paying out-of-pocket.
- Some laboratories have financial aid programs that will allow you to get bloodwork and other tests for free! Here’s an example of one from Quest Labs.
Doctors Visits Without Insurance
Lyme Disease Tests
- LymeTAP.com – Lyme Testing Access Program.
- Lymelight Foundation – For patients from birth through age 25.
- LymeAid4Kids – For Lyme treatment for those under age 21.
- Ticked Off Foundation – Lyme treatment for adults
- Many lymies believe that the Igenex is the best test and gives different or better information than the standard western blot performed by most doctors.
- If your doctor does not use Igenex, you can order the test yourself and bring it to your doctor to sign and draw the blood. Then mail it in yourself.
- Medicare will pay for the Igenex. As mentioned above, you can order the test yourself. Make sure to go to a doctor that accepts Medicare
- Some people report success getting private insurance to reimburse all or part of their Igenex test.
Escaping Co-Payments, Deductibles, & Premiums
- Patient Services – assistance with premiums and co-payments
- The HealthWell Foundation – co-payments for important medical treatments.
- Co-Pay Relief – assistance with co-payments.
- How to Escape Medicare Fees – For people on Medicare (obviously)
- How to Get Medicaid
- In some situations, Medicaid will pay all your co-pays and deductibles.
- If you got turned down or think you don’t qualify, please check this link.
- Food Stamps Regs – If you are disabled and have medical expenses, your food stamps can go up.
- Housing Regs – If you live in Section 8, HUD, or USDA housing and have medical expenses, your rent can go down.
Help Navigating All of This
- The Patient Advocate Foundation free case management services
- Patient Services – assistance with navigating healthcare & insurance
- Financial survival for Spoonies: How to Be Poor in America
- Financial survival while applying for disability: How to Survive While Applying
- Cheap or free meds: How to Be Broke and Medicated
Updated Oct 2018. Please comment below with stories, ideas, questions or suggestions. Please let us know if any links on this page stop working.