Higher Payment Standards: Do I Need to Make This Request? Do I Want to Make This Request?

A request for a higher payment standard is kind of a pain to make. No point making one if you don’t need to! Let’s look:

Do I Need to Make This Request? 

Method one: Let them crunch the numbers for you.

Don’t do anything special. Just get the normal form all landlords fill out. Have your new landlord sign it and bring it to your Housing Authority. See if it gets approved or denied.

Your housing worker will crunch all the numbers and tell you if the rent is too high. If it turns out to be too high, you can consider putting in a request for a higher payment standard.

Method two: Do math! Read policies! 

Some people don’t want to wait and see what their housing authority says. Or they don’t understand what their housing authority says. Or they think their housing authority has made a mistake.

If you are such a person, and you want to do the math yourself, here’s how you can figure it out:

If you don’t have income, you just need to find out what your payment standard is, and then deduct any utilities not included in the rent. That will give you a final number and you can look and see if the place you want to rent is above or below payment standard. If you don’t know what this is or how to do this, take a look here: How Payment Standards Work

If you do have income, it’s a little more complicated. You need to know your payment standard and utility allowance, but then you also need to know a rule called: going up to 40% of your income. Your Housing Authority is going to apply this rule no matter what, so you might as well learn what it is if you wish to. Here’s Where are you can find out: How to Crunch the Numbers: Who Pays What?

Method three: Give up!

Try to find a different landlord who charges less rent. If someone in your household is disabled, you can request an accommodation for extension in search time (don’t listen to anyone who tells you that more extensions are not possible).

Method Four: Get creative.

Many more Legal Ways to Use Your Housing Voucher When the Rent is Too High