Applying Elsewhere and Moving a Voucher to You

Here is a creative way some of our readers have gotten vouchers in their home towns: They apply in another area. Then, when they reach the top of the waiting list, they get their voucher and move it back to where they live.

This strategy can definitely work and sometimes you can get a voucher quickly this way. However, there’s a catch. Typically, the new housing authority will make you moved to their area and lived there for 12 months before you can move the voucher back to where you live.

If you are unable to do this because of your disabilities, you may be able to make a reasonable accommodation request to move your voucher immediately without having to live somewhere else for 12 months first.

You can also make this request if you are caring for a disabled household member, such as a child or parent, and this person cannot move because of their disability.

Will your request be approved? Maybe! Sometimes this request is approved and sometimes it isn’t. According to the regulations, it’s a bit of a gray area. It doesn’t hurt to try.

Tip: Make sure you submit your request in writing along with all the proper documentation. If you just ask if you can do this, you will almost certainly be told that it is impossible.

Moving a voucher from one area to another is called “porting”. Learn more about porting:

Sample Letters

Provider Letters


Success Stories

Laws and Policies

Special Protections: Domestic Violence and Stalking

If you or someone in your family is a victim of domestic violence, dating violence or stalking, you may be able to request exceptions to porting policies under a special law called VAWA. Protects all genders:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s