If someone has told you that you cannot apply for disability, please don’t give up hope quite yet. Even if the person who told you this is a lawyer, or a caseworker, or someone who works at Social Security!
We cannot make any promises, but we can tell you that many of our readers were told this and it turned out not to be true. Or it turned out to be true, but they discovered there were other ways they could apply.
What were you told?
Someone Told Me I Can’t Apply for Disability Because…
- I’m Too Young
- I’m Still Working
- I Just Stopped Working
- I Cannot Get to the Doctor
- I’m Already Getting Veteran’s Benefits
- I Don’t Know Why They Said That
Someone Told Me I Can’t Apply for SSDI Because…
- I Haven’t Worked Enough
- I Waited Too Long After I Stopped Working
- Something to Do With Work Credits. I Don’t Understand.
Someone Said I Can’t Apply for SSI Because….
- I’m Not Poor Enough
- I Have Too Much Savings Or Own Too Much Stuff
- I Have Too Much Income
- I’m living with my parents or other people
- I’m living with a boyfriend or girlfriend
- I’m Married
- I Own Two Cars
- If My Life Changes, Will I Become Eligible?
Wait! What’s The Difference Between SSI and SSDI?
Someone Told Me It Will Be Impossible Because
- You Can’t Get Approved with Lyme Disease
- You Can’t Get Approved with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- You Can’t Get Approved with Fibromyalgia
- You Can’t Get Approved with Toxic Mold Exposure
- You Can’t Get Approved for Mental Unless You’ve Been Hospitalized
- I Don’t Have a Lawyer
Can I Apply for Anything Else?
I’m Still Confused
- “I Have Questions and Can’t Find Answers”
- “I’m Having a Problem and Can’t Find Help.“
- “Someone At Social Security Said Something Weird“
Thanks for Reading
🌷 This page is part of the free online guide: The Sleepy Girl Guide to Social Security Disability
🌷 Art on this page by Robin Mead and Elizabeth D’Angelo.
🌷 Please let us know if any links on this page stop working.
🌷 If you found this page helpful, please share it with others by pressing one of these magic little buttons:
3 thoughts on “How to Apply for Disability When You are Told You Can’t Apply for Disability”
The last link won’t work!!!! And I NEED to see that information. PLEASE email when fixed.
All the links are working for me. Which one won’t work for you?
I keep trying to go back to work but I just can’t make it work. I’ve always wanted to make my own money since the kids got older but I just stay so sick. Thank you for figuring out my work credits. I can’t say enough how much your help mean to me!